Billabong steals Johnny Cupcakes design recipe.

Billabong steals Johnny Cupcakes design recipe.Billabong (or should I say Billawrong), totally jacked a previous t-shirt design of Johnny Cupcakes.  Above you can see his golden tooth t-shirt design, which was created in 2005 (on a brown shirt) – and was sold up until this year in various colorways. This winter, Billabong JUST released their black version of a shirt that is almost an exact copy of a hand drawn set of Johnny Cupcakes teeth. They released it in Europe because they thought we wouldn’t notice. They could’ve stole the idea and used different teeth… It would of still sucked, but not as bad as the nonsense they just pulled.  There is a thin line between parody and straight up copying. “Even if nothing comes out of this, I’d at least like the whole world to know about these shenanigans Billabong has blatantly pulled”, says Johnny.  Urban outfitters did something similar to him, in 2006.

Posted by Johnny Cupcakes  |  13 Comments  |  in Design, Fashions, Fine Art, Retail, Web

About Johnny Cupcakes

My name is Johnny. I make clothes with cupcakes on em.

1. Anonymous 04/13/2012 5:50 pm

who cares. in the art world people are always copying others.

2. timberland 02/24/2010 8:15 am

I just want to say,I don’t like your T-shirt.

3. jordanspacejams 02/21/2010 7:02 am

Your present very nice pictures here.I love them so much.The T-shirt is cool.

4. ctryonline 12/16/2009 9:09 am

A recent survey, there are a lot of Shop offers cheap jordans and other brands such as products, people feel really quite

good inexpensive. If we need
    nike air yeezy such a popular product, please visit the
    This is the cheap-jordans website by yang.

5. wsd 08/18/2009 3:27 pm

Top quality, reasonable price, credit management!

Our site focuses on all the differentDigital Cameras,Digital Picture Frames,Electronic Gadgets and so on .
    Warmly welcome to

6. New Home 08/18/2009 10:31 am

Please forgive my disturb.Good Luck For You!

Nike Af

Email:[email protected]

7. eeedel 02/25/2008 8:23 pm

both designs are kinda garbage. sucks he got ripped off though.

8. PopPunk 02/06/2008 7:27 pm

what the… earning $$$ yet can’t produce orginals? RIPPED OFF.

9. josh 01/30/2008 7:48 am

…..because johnny does his own designing too…..

10. Jorie 01/16/2008 9:47 pm

I hear people keep saying that JC is doing the same thing, copying other design and adding cupcakes in. But this isn’t copying, it’s called parody. What BillaWrong and Urban Counterfeiters did is copying, and its a shame that these bazillion dollar companies don’t just hire someone with a creative sense, its not like they can’t afford it. Instead they bite off of nice designs like Johnny Cupcakes.. They suck majorly and I have something in store for them…

11. GayShawn 01/14/2008 6:54 pm

Actually… one of the teeth IS different… ;)

12. extol 01/14/2008 10:37 am

i hate it when shyte like that happens…

there is a VERY small percentage of chance most of the time that an idea has been covered by someone else, but in this case- its pretty obvious that it was a rip.

13. Sarah 01/14/2008 9:27 am

This makes me so angry, I’ve loved and wanted that tee forever! Now to see fucking Billabong ripping it off. Ouch, hope it works out all good, nobody takes common pricks like Billabong seriously anyway, also how the hell did they manage to make a wicked design look so shit? I don’t understand?!