The Family vs. Octane Clothing (Coincidence?)

YTWWN: Not sure about this- seams like a very generic design, is there a second element that links these designs? If not I think this could been a coincidence.

The creators of Melbourne clothing brand Octane must have spent some of their summer holidays clubbing in Brisbane. As their new trans-seasonal range features quite a familiar logo on their denim pocket plasters. This logo is a vertically flipped version of that used by Brisbane nightclub ‘The Family‘ (my old workplace – shouts to head-office staff ^_^).

Closeup of Octane’s “New” icon.

Close up of the offence

The Family logo.

The Family Logo

Pocket plaster in full.

Octane Clothing Jeans branding

Posted by LiQ  |  11 Comments  |  in Design, Fashions

About LiQ

1. gegtik 03/05/2008 3:05 pm

eh I’m not convinced this is a rip.. seems like a pretty elementary set of shapes

2. AnonOne 03/05/2008 5:37 pm

I agree, Anybody playing arounf on a computer could easilly come up with this without ever looking at the other art.

3. Jess 03/05/2008 6:05 pm

I don’t think this is a rip at all. The new logo looks like a pair of pants running, which is smart. The designer probably actually thought of that. Kudos to him/her.

4. nomad 03/05/2008 11:48 pm

You got it the wrong way round jess. The one that looks like legs running is the original – the nightclub’s.
    Anyway, a bit of a stretch. Possibly inspired, possibly not.
    Either way, hard to prove.

5. Anonymous 03/06/2008 1:02 am

not even.

6. Anonymous 03/06/2008 6:37 am

I think that might classify as a shape. Kinda like a square, or a circle?!

7. Leopold Stotch 03/06/2008 2:55 pm

yeah thats a stretch.
    this symbol is so overused,
    crack open a copy of Los Logos 1,2 or 3 and you’ll see dozens.
    If you were to actually make a real case for this, then you should go to Designers Republic who unearthed this symbol/logo over 15 years ago from an even older transportation company.

8. LiQ 03/07/2008 11:49 am

Hmm, upon reflection I think because (as I mentioned) I used to work for them, this logo became really familiar and looking at the style guide and seeing what the logo means to ‘The Family’ and the reasoning behind it, built it up as something far more then just a ‘generic’ design.

Also because I know the designer [of Octane and not personally] rips a lot of his tee design off added to influence my perspective on this.

So thanks to everyone for their in-depth responses to this post. Not that I would expect anything less form this community :D

- LiQ XOOXOX

9. Anonymous 03/07/2008 11:58 am

Rinzen did the logo for Family… They did some really cool posters and promos using the design. You can view them here:

10. Tony 03/24/2008 9:10 pm

I’d say that the denim logo is a simple reproduction of an arcuate that you get stitched into the back pocket of a pair of jeans so unlikely to be a “rip-off”.

11. Matt 09/03/2008 11:04 pm