for the love of *%#$#

In summer of 2009 I launched the blog for the LOVE of bikes and designed this logo for the site:

Someone familiar with my blog recently emailed me letting me know that Forever 21 is now selling this Tee with a knock off of – not only my logo design – BUT ALSO spelled out my site’s name:

To top it off, I even sell my own shirts with my cute logo!

Posted by vpup  |  27 Comments  |  in Design, Fashions, Retail

1. Anonymous 01/02/2012 8:09 am

this is not what I mean about embracing the internet coach bags Tell your partner what you like about your relationship and listen to them

2. Anonymous 12/30/2011 3:10 pm

We need to be around other humans coach usa the GROW model has also been adapted by some coaches

3. Vanessa 05/03/2011 2:47 am

To the person saying that you can’t copyright fashion, you’d be right if the OP were talking about the actual design (cut & construction) of the shirt. You can most definitely copyright a print (image on fabric)! And you can’t blatantly copy a fashion design either. You have to change the overall construction (color, legnth, sleeves, etc) by at least 10%.

4. Sunnie 02/23/2011 3:51 am

Another reason from hundreds to not support Forever 21.

5. Sara 02/16/2011 9:46 pm

I collect vintage fabrics. My little sister drug me to the poopy mall and that equally poopy Forever 21 store. This bird print dress is stolen from a vintage fabric I have…

It’s funny that they can’t just take the idea and go in a different direction with it. I don’t understand that. It seems like they could use the money they are paying in legal fees and just employ some designers who know how to run with an idea.

6. Caitlin 02/03/2011 7:31 am

Yes, It most DEFINITELY is ripped off. I actually am an employee at Forever 21, and since working there you have no idea how many items we have put on the sales floor, then three days later are ordered to remove from the floor and “damage” because forever 21 is AWFUL at getting approved for trademarks/paying the artist/creator.
    in my 3 weeks i have seen “doc martens” and a lenard skynard shirt get pulled from the floor to be shipped off. they are awful with these sorts of things really :-/

7. TF893143 02/02/2011 1:35 am

This one is actually kosher (for the fashion industry).
    The bike is a different bike, the wheels are different. They took the idea of the hearts and changed them a little. And you can’t copyright a phrase.

Yeah it’s a rip off, but it’s a smart one.

8. rainy_day 02/01/2011 1:51 am

Forever21 has a looooooong history of doing just this. They have an equally long history of settling out of court on these cases. If I were you, I would make an appointment with a lawyer to discuss my options.

Truthfully, Forever21 makes so much money, their business policy clearly finds it more profitable to continue ripping of designers and settling out of court than investing in original design.

9. سعودي كام 01/29/2011 2:01 am

You are a wonderful human being

10. Jim 01/27/2011 11:29 am

‘Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination…And don’t bother concealing your thievery—celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: “It’s not where you take things from—it’s where you take them to.”
    - Jim Jarmusch

11. buzzgirl 01/25/2011 4:37 am

Actually, it’s not A-OKAY. Please refer to this article, and consider suing.

12. Britta 01/24/2011 10:52 pm
  13. Tim B 01/24/2011 12:58 am

Yep! True I got an out of court settlement!

14. Paul Pelssers 01/24/2011 12:16 am

Get in line as everyone seems to be suing Forever 21 for copyrite infringement. Rarely do they go to court – in most cases they settle.

15. Bob 01/18/2011 7:42 am

Yeah… I’m sending them hate mail. xD

16. Paula Wirth 01/18/2011 7:31 am

You have a good case — contact them first, ask them if they are going to pay you for the use of your company name and logo.

17. Kris 01/16/2011 10:13 am

This is exactly why I’ve told my sister to stop shopping at Forever21. Their track record is disgusting with this crap and does nothing but show that they really don’t give a damn about copyright or ethics in general.

18. Laos 01/14/2011 8:31 pm

Get a lawyer to make a juicy lawsuit!

19. James 01/14/2011 8:10 pm

Yet another rip off by this company, how many have the done now?

20. Sully 01/14/2011 6:50 pm

They actually haven’t changed it enough for it to be fine, as others have stated. Otherwise, you could start your own company called Forever22 and for it to be okay. There are actually so many points of similarity that it’s a problem for them. They have a lazy designer somewhere who stole your design and hoped you wouldn’t notice. Ultimately, these types of cases are settled out of court. If they do go to court, it’s a judge’s eye who’ll ultimately decide, and the judgement will likely come out in your favour. I would bring your case to a copyright lawyer and have them craft a lawyer’s letter and send it to Forever21. They will likely apologize, pull all the shirts, and give you a few thousand bucks. That’s my best guess.

21. DAN 01/14/2011 3:20 pm

You’re right about the copying. But you ain’t about it being a ‘cute logo’.

22. Larry 01/14/2011 1:55 pm

You can’t copyright fashion, but you can trademark a logo.

The argument they’re going to use is that they changed enough things for it to be fine. Its still essentially your logo and design, and its not a parody or homage, it’s a blatant rip.

Take Jessee’s advice and you should be good.

23. Mustache 01/14/2011 8:42 am

Sorry dude, can’t copyright fashion. You can copyright a logo, but since they didn’t do it exactly the same, its ok. Same as the Chinatown Luis Volton bags. Pretty much the same, but not exactly. A-OKAY!

24. Caitlin 01/14/2011 3:36 am

on the one hand, it’s flattering that they liked it enough, but i can’t stand to see companies steal stuff like this. Please go out there and get your justice!!!

25. Jesse 01/14/2011 3:00 am

Well, you could sue. Or, you could contact the much larger site that is likely making quite a lot of money from your original design without being aware of the copyright infringement, tell them you’re receptive to a reasonable royalty deal and see what happens. Sometimes, in fact often, outright aggression isn’t the most strategically beneficial first step.

26. Mary 01/14/2011 2:19 am

Yeah, just take ‘em down. I would be angry too! But if you can prove it, take ‘em out.

27. Vern 01/14/2011 1:00 am

I was going to say just enjoy the free advertising, that is until I saw you sell your own t-shirts with that logo. This is fairly blatant. If you can prove your design was out there first, what’s keeping you from taking further action at the moment?